Grilled Mac & Cheese
Now this wasn't actually grilled, but it was made on the grill during our most recent hurricaine when we lost power for a few days. We had to get creative and it was a yummy dish!
- 16 oz. Elbow Macaroni
- 2 Tbsp Land O Lakes light butter with canola oil
- 2 Tbsp Flour
- 2 Cups Unsalted chicken stock
- 1 Medium Onion grated Finely into pulp ( Drain juice )
- 1 Tbsp McCormick ranch seasoning
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 2 tsp Garlic powder
- Pinch Nutmeg
- Salt & Pepper To taste
- 1 Cup Velvetta shreds
- 4 oz. 75% Reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 oz. 50% Reduced fat sharp cheddar chesse
- 1/4 Cup Fat free half & half
- 1/2 Cup Non fat greek yogurt
- Fresh Basil & Parsley To garnish
- Cook your pasta to al dente ( Cooked to be firm to the bite, you don't want mushy macaroni and cheese ) Reserve some of the pasta water for later
- Melt the butter and add the flour to make a roux ( A mixture of fat and flour used in making a sauce )
- Once the roux has cooked a little. Slowly add your chicken stock in while whisking at the same time to get rid of the chunks and making a smooth sauce. Add a little at a time so that the sauce thickens properly
- Add the onion pulp and all seasonings
- Season with salt & pepper to taste
- Keep the sauce on medium heat to thicken, you can add some of the reserved pasta water to thicken the sauce if need be.
- Once the sauce is thickened, turn the heat down to low and add your cheeses, half and half as well as the yogurt.
- Once melted add your pasta.
- Mix up and cover for a few minutes
- Garnish and enjoy