Chef Allie’s Sunday Sauce
A delicious tomato sauce made with love! Started in the morning preparing this sauce with tomatoes from our garden and was able to enjoy later with a yummy pasta dish for Sunday dinner.
- 10 Medium Tomatoes ( No Skin ) – Instrustions below
- 1 1/2 Cups Grape Tomatoes
- 1 Cup Onions Chopped
- 3 Cloves Garlic Minced
- Balsamic vinegar Splash
- 1 TBSP Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp Dried parsely
- 1/4 Cup Fresh basil Chopped
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Start by gathering or buying 10 tomatoes
- Get a big pot of water to a boil
- Core them and then slilce an " X" on the bottom to score it with a knife
- Get an ice bath ready ( Bowl of mostly ice and enough water to cover ice )
- Place half the tomatoes into the boiling water for 90 seconds
- Put immediately into ice bath
- Do the rest of the tomatoes
- Dump water out of pot and place back on stove. Heat off
- Once all tomatoes are in the ice bath for a few minutes, remove one at a time and slide the skin right off. Place back into large pot.
- On the side, place the grape tomatoes ( Skin on ) in a pan with a little bit of avoado oil spray. Once they have roasted for a few minutes add the chopped onions and cook until translucent
- Add chopped onions and balsamic vinegar
- Mash the skinned tomatoes and add grape tomatoes and onions into large pot. Take either a hand held masher or immersion blender and mash and or blend tomatoes and onions ( if you do not have an immersion blender you can use a regular blender and blend then pour back into pot )
- Season tomatoes with salt , pepper, italian seasoning, oregano , parsley and fresh basil.
- Place on low and or simmer for 2-3 hours until the tomatoes thichen into a wonderful sauce.
- You can either keep it as a thick sauce or add water, chicken stock or vegetable sauce to loosen.
- Season if needed with more salt and pepper to taste.