Just so you know, this recipe isn’t WW or Healthi friendly, but I do have a lightened version on my blog. Just searched “Lightened Irish Soad Bread”.
Irish Soda bread is one of the easiest breads to make and its absolutely delicious. This recipe has been in our family for years and it was time to share.
When it is in the oven my house smells fantastic and I cannot wait to dig in, slab some butter on top and enjoy with a cup of my favorite tea.
Irish Soda Bread – Family Recipe
- Bowl for mixing
- Sheet tray or cake pan
- 3 1/2 Cups Flour
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 2 TBSP Caraway seeds
- 1/4 Cup Butter
- 1 Cup Seedless raisins
- 1 Egg Beaten
- 1 1/3 Cup Buttermilk
- Butter for brushing top of loaf
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Grease an 8 inch cake pan
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and caraway seeds into a bowl.
- Cut in the butter until it resembles fine bread crumbs
- Stir in raisins
- Combine egg and buttermilk and stir into the dry ingredients
- Turn out onto a floured board or surface and knead lightly
- Form dough into a ball and place into the prepared pan
- Brush with melted butter and bake for 30 minutes.
- Reduce oven to 350 degrees and back for an additional 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the loaf.
- Cool on wire rack then enjoy