This recipe is a lightened-up version of our family recipe. I absolutely love it and its not far off from the original.
My family recipe is also on here on my blog just search Irish Soda bread and it’ll pop up.
Lightened Up Irish Soda Bread
- 3 1/2 Cups Flour
- 1/4 Cup Sugar substitute
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 TBSP Caraway seeds
- 1/2 Cup Raisins
- 1/4 Cup Light butter
- 1 1/3 Cup Fat free buttermilk
- 1 Egg beaten
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Grease an 8 inch cake pan
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and caraway seeds into a bowl.
- Cut in the butter until it resembles fine bread crumbs
- Stir in raisins
- Combine egg and buttermilk and stir into the dry ingredients
- Turn out onto a floured board or surface and knead lightly
- Form dough into a ball and place into the prepared pan
- Brush/spray with more light butter and bake for 30 minutes
- Reduce oven to 350 degrees and back for an additional 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the loaf.
- Cool on wire rack then enjoy