Growing up my mom would make my sister and me a simple pasta dish with elbow pasta, butter, black pepper with cottage cheese. I wanted to make that nostalgic dish into an adult version so that is what I did.
The key to the pasta when growing up and now is to add the cold or slightly chilled cottage cheese at the end of the cooking process, that was key.
For some reason the hot buttery pasta paired so so well with the black pepper and cold cottage cheese that eventually warmed up from the hot pasta. Just brings me back.
I wanted to recreate that dish with some veggies and a protein, and I did just that. Not only is is delicious it can be made in one pan.
I decided to make my chicken in the air fryer just because it’s one of my favorite ways to make my chicken, but you can certainly make the whole dish, including the chicken in one pan!
One Pan Pasta with Broccoli, Cottage Cheese & Chicken
- Pot or pan
- Air fryer or oven
- Avocado oil spray to coat pan
- 1 Small Shallot or onion Chopped
- 1 TBSP Garlic minced
- 2 oz. Whole wheat elbow pasta Dry
- 2 Cups Water or unsalted chicken broth Or until pasta is covered
- Salt for pasta water
- 1- 1 1/2 Cups Cooked broccoli Chopped
- 3/4 Cup Cottage cheese (Low fat or your choice) I use Good Culture brand
- Splash Lemon juice
- 1 Chicken breast
- Dak's Nothin But Ranch seasoning or seasoning of your choice
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Zest of a lemon
- Parsley to garnish, optional
- 1 tsp Grated parmesan cheese optional
- I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray to garnish
- First get your chicken into the air fryer or you can also cook in the pan you are cooking the whole meal in. If cooking in an air fryer set to 380/390 season chicken and cook until 165 degrees. If cooking in the pan season chicken and cook through, then set aside.
- While chicken is cooking, sauté onions in a light coating of avocado oil until translucent. Add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add the dry pasta and cooking liquid. Cover pan with lid and cook on med-high for about 8 minutes or until pasta is cooked to al dente.
- Add the chopped cooked broccoli, lemon juice and season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Add the cooked sliced chicken, lemon zest and parsley to garnish
- Add parmesan cheese and butter (optional) to garnish